Landlord Guide

Helping you get the most out of your property

Our Landlord guide is a brief overview of the key points you need to be aware of if you have one or more properties that you wish to rent out.

General Responsibilities


  • Provision of basic appliances to safely supply gas, electric and water to the property
  • Provide a correctly installed and maintained kitchen facility
  • Provide a correctly installed and maintained bathroom facility
  • Regular maintenance of central heating boiler and other system components (yearly inspections)
  • Regular maintenance the property electrics and its components (inspection every 5 years)
  • General exterior maintenance of the property and its structural components
  • General maintenance of the interior facilities of the property


  • Keeping up to rent payments as per the tenancy agreement
  • Keeping up to payment of utility bills as agreed
  • Paying council tax, sewerage and water charges as agreed
  • General maintenance of the property for the duration of the tenancy
  • To be respectful of neighbours to the property e.g. no excess noise
  • To provide the landlord with access to the property in line with the terms agreed
  • To follow the correct tenancy termination procedure

The Process

Property inspection and valuation

At Virtue we offer a free no obligation inspection and valuation of your property, If this is something you wish to arrange you can either provide your details via our Contact page or get in touch with us by whichever means suits you best.

We would typically meet you at the property at your convenience where we can offer you advice on how to maximise the return on your property and of course discuss what we believe is a reasonable rental valuation of the property. If there is anything you are unsure of about residential letting this is also a good opportunity for you to take advantage of our knowledge and experience.

Agency/Landlord Contract

Before a property can be rented out it needs to meet the required standards for the UK rental market. Virtue can offer advice and guidance to meet these requirements. Once the standards are in place and rental valuation agreed a contract will need to be signed with Virtue.

This will detail the responsibilities of Virtue and you as a landlord throughout the rest of the process.


Once terms have been agreed we will then revisit the property to take high quality professional photographs to make sure that your property stands out from the crowd. The property will then be shared across a wide range of property portals to ensure maximum exposure and of course the traditional “To Let” sign with be erected outside the property.


Dependent upon the terms agreed viewings can be arranged and facilitated by Virtue Estate Agents or by you as the property landlord.

Application, Referencing and Credit Checks

Again, dependent upon the terms agreed, all prospective tenants, and guarantors (where applicable), will be require to complete an application form containing all relevant information to enable us to complete comprehensive referencing an credit checks to ensure that the tenant is suitable for your property. This is of vital importance as the proper checks and identification of suitable tenants can prevent a great deal of stress and frustration for the duration of the tenancy.


This is another key stage of the process as it is a document detailing the condition of the property and its fixtures and fittings (with photographic evidence where required) upon commencement of the tenancy as agreed by all parties.

Tenancy Agreement

Your new tenant will then sign a tenancy agreement detailing the full terms of the tenancy and the rights and responsibilities of all parties involved. It is at this stage that they will pay their first month’s rent and the bond as well as completing a direct debit form detailing future rent payments to be made.


If you are utilising our management services we will then manage the property throughout the duration of the tenancy in line with the terms agreed at the commencement of our business relationship. This means that any issues that may arise with the property during the tenancy can be dealt with by us on your behalf, any work completed by our trade partners is always completed to the highest possible standard.

Periodic Inspections (Usually every 6 months) will then take place to ensure that the tenant is keeping up to the maintenance of the property as agree upon commencement of the tenancy.

Termination of the tenancy

Once either party wishes to terminate the tenancy and the correct notice is provided in line with the tenancy agreement we will revisit the property to conduct a final inspection. The purpose of this is to check the condition of the property and its fixings against those recorded in the inventory at the commencement of the tenancy.

* The above is intended as a guide only and is not an exhaustive summary of a Landlords responsibilities.